Please read over the list and pray for the Source of Light Center:
- A new Venturer, Skyler Cumbia, just recently arrived in Haiti. She will spend most of her time teaching English and computer classes to the children living at Source of Light. She will also help to coordinate our child sponsorship program – sending sponsors updates directly from the field. Skyler will be joined next month by a collegiate summer missionary.
- Several months ago, a water purification system was installed on the well at Source of Light. This was provided by generous donations from our Virginia Baptist family. The well is now able to provide clean drinking water to the community and the Center is able to sell water to make a small profit for the Center. Many of the boys living at Source of Light have developed a strong interest in helping with the water purification, bagging, and distribution of the water. This will be a skill that should prove extremely beneficial in adulthood.
- Virginia Baptists’ have built over thirty homes in the Delmas 19 community, which is where Source of Light is located. Two additional families have been identified that will receive homes this summer – all provided, labor and funds, by Virginia Baptists.
- In June, a music emphasis will be added to the educational opportunities at Source of Light. Melodime, a Northern Virginia based band, has collected close to forty instruments that will be donated to Source of Light. All of the school children and orphans will be exposed to music and learn from a trained professional.
- Plans continue for the church plant which will be located in Delmas 19. This is a partnership between the VBMB (Glocal and Courageous) and the Haiti Baptist Convention.
- All of the children attending school at Source of Light passed the national exam for primary aged students.
- Over 100 Virginia Baptist volunteers will travel to Haiti this summer to work alongside our Haitian partners. These teams will provide several weeks of Vacation Bible School for the orphan children living at Source of Light and they will also work to construct two homes in Delmas 19.
- A new soccer and basketball coach has been hired at Source of Light. This coach helps to train the children in skills necessary to participate in organized play and also provides structured recreational time for the children. We most definitely have a few soccer all-stars in the making.
- Here are some great pictures from a recent trip: http://www.allisonmaxwellphotography.com/blog/2014/1/haiti.